Isn’t it funny how the meaning of ‘best friend’ changes over time? Well, at least it has and still does for me. I’ve been very lucky that I’ve consistently had the same true ‘best friend’ for twenty plus years. I’ve also been lucky to have several who fit under the category of ‘one of my best friends’. My sister has become a ‘best friend’ as over the years our age difference no longer matters. Idaho added yet another definition of ‘best friend’ with endless hours of phone conversations.
For me, friends differ depending on the situation so I thought I would try to come up with scenarios that may help you put your friendships into perspective . This is not always a one size fits all thing, I for one am quite diversified.
- I agree with the saying that a good friend will help you bury the body. There’s also the friend who will bring the bleach and the shovel for the best possible clean-up.
- There are particular friends who will bail you out and pick you up from jail, no matter what you did. Others will be with you in jail….see my first point.
- Some will let you vent about your other friends without judging you. They will also add ‘that bitch’ and not truly mean it when appropriate.
- A few will go with you to get a tattoo and not judge you, your choices or any of your chubbiness that’s showing.
- One friend will stop for dollar McDoubles even though neither of you need it. Then laugh about it when they taste like cardboard. Duh, they did last time too!
- Some will still love you after you get the giggles at completely inappropriate times.
- Most will laugh hysterically when you take a fall but help you up after they’re done laughing and they’ve gone to the bathroom.
- One friend will say nothing when you open the champagne bottle in the car and crack the windshield.
- Very few will tell you that outfit looks bad. The ones that do should be your shopping partners for life.
- Some will deal with you when you’re bawling uncontrollably for no apparent reason. Even when you don’t know why you’re crying.
- One friend sends you to your room when you laugh at her naughty child. It’s only fair.
- Some get in the car with you for the day and say “drive that way” when you just need to get out of town for a few hours to hide from life.
- A few will laugh with you while watching others make an ass out of themselves. Then turn to you and say, “Holy crap, that was us ten years ago”.
- Very few will crawl into bed with you and talk until you fall asleep just because they know you need them near you.
- There’s probably only one who will say “I draw the line at wiping your butt; however, I will bring a hose and a loofa sponge on a stick and we’ll figure it out”.
- Keep those that know you’re really kidding when you ask if they can carry the chainsaw while you grab the garbage bags and the plastic gloves but they play along.
- Some will take your ridiculous phone call in the middle of the night no matter what. Even if you’re hysterical about a break-in and they can’t understand you.
- Very few will clean your house while you’re down and out and not judge because of the mess.
- All of your best friends should take the good with the bad, be supportive, keep your secrets, listen to your opinion and take it into consideration (even if they don’t want to) and love you unconditionally.
I think you have friends for all reasons and seasons. Some friends are appropriate for more situations than others, there are only one or two that actually fit into most. I’ve realized that’s okay, not everyone knows how to be the same kind of friend.
Most important, they ALL should be laughers, even when it’s a not-so-great situation. May as well make the best of it.