How does it happen? How does one accumulate so much crap?
I’ve lived at my current residence for only three years. I am very conscious of what I save and how much I save…..or at least I thought I was. Tonight I realized I’m apparently not as conscious as I think I am. I was putting away my Christmas tree tonight (yes, I know, it’s the 16th, give me a break, I’ve been busy) and as I was bringing the stuff back downstairs, it hit me like a ton of bricks.
It’s the basement I go in every day, it’s the basement I do laundry in and it’s the basement I thought I had a critter in. Why it hit me tonight? I have no idea. I stopped at the bottom of the stairs and looked around and said out loud “where did all this $*&# come from?”. As I inventoried the contents, here’s what I found that was mine:
- Two chairs I was going to recover…….15 years ago.
- Ten bins with different holiday stuff…..who needs that much, especially when I barely decorate?
- A 5 ft. church bench, yes, I said church bench. I’m going to refinish it………at some point.
- A piano bench that I’m going to refinish…..at some point.
- A trunk I’m going to refinish…..at some point.
- A half refinished dresser I will finish………at some point. I better figure out when “at some point” is.
- Two cots….no mattresses. WTF? How did I manage to accumulate those?
- A TV stand I no longer need or want.
- A shelf I no longer need or want.
- Three bins of stuff from my youth…teddy bears, toys, dolls, urgh…what am I going to do with those besides haul them around?
- 12 purses. Holy hell did I spend too much time in Chinatown in NYC over the years.
- 17 suitcases, beach bags, duffel bags and softball bags. I’m really in the WTF stage now.
- Tents….oh dear, I didn’t check in that bag for the critter!!!! I may have to just throw those out without even looking.
- Seven pairs of shoes I haven’t worn since I moved in….perhaps I could get rid of those??
It just hit me. I’M A HOARDER!!!!! Holy crap, my friends are going to call that show and turn me in. I need therapy, counseling, perhaps hospitalization!
I gotta go, I have some cleaning out to do before I’m writing stories from the big house……or whatever house they put me in.
3 thoughts on “Accumulation of Stuff”
It’s truly amazing the crap the one accumulates, although how you dispose of it is key. Like my dad does to you, simply depositing in your vehicle before you leave is ingenious! Now it’s your problem and not his, he’s the anti hoarder. LOL
Yeah, your dad makes us all hoarders. He also sells stuff on garage sales for $2 he shouldn’t!!
I’m a huge “Hoarders” fan and my SO hates it … and, absolutely, will not watch. So I record each episode and watch when I’m home alone. After every one of my “Hoarders Marathons” I find myself extraordinarily motivated to get rid of stuff! Friday night I watch three episodes and Saturday afternoon I made a trip to Goodwill and sold a fooseball table on Craig’s List. I don’t want to collect any more “stuff” … now, I only want to collect memories.