How does it happen? How does one accumulate so much crap?
I’ve lived at my current residence for only three years. I am very conscious of what I save and how much I save…..or at least I thought I was. Tonight I realized I’m apparently not as conscious as I think I am. I was putting away my Christmas tree tonight (yes, I know, it’s the 16th, give me a break, I’ve been busy) and as I was bringing the stuff back downstairs, it hit me like a ton of bricks.
It’s the basement I go in every day, it’s the basement I do laundry in and it’s the basement I thought I had a critter in. Why it hit me tonight? I have no idea. I stopped at the bottom of the stairs and looked around and said out loud “where did all this $*&# come from?”. As I inventoried the contents, here’s what I found that was mine:
- Two chairs I was going to recover…….15 years ago.
- Ten bins with different holiday stuff…..who needs that much, especially when I barely decorate?
- A 5 ft. church bench, yes, I said church bench. I’m going to refinish it………at some point.
- A piano bench that I’m going to refinish…..at some point.
- A trunk I’m going to refinish…..at some point.
- A half refinished dresser I will finish………at some point. I better figure out when “at some point” is.
- Two cots….no mattresses. WTF? How did I manage to accumulate those?
- A TV stand I no longer need or want.
- A shelf I no longer need or want.
- Three bins of stuff from my youth…teddy bears, toys, dolls, urgh…what am I going to do with those besides haul them around?
- 12 purses. Holy hell did I spend too much time in Chinatown in NYC over the years.
- 17 suitcases, beach bags, duffel bags and softball bags. I’m really in the WTF stage now.
- Tents….oh dear, I didn’t check in that bag for the critter!!!! I may have to just throw those out without even looking.
- Seven pairs of shoes I haven’t worn since I moved in….perhaps I could get rid of those??
It just hit me. I’M A HOARDER!!!!! Holy crap, my friends are going to call that show and turn me in. I need therapy, counseling, perhaps hospitalization!
I gotta go, I have some cleaning out to do before I’m writing stories from the big house……or whatever house they put me in.