This shouldn’t be funny but to me it was hilarious, especially after the fact.
A few Saturdays ago, for a brief moment in time, a few people thought I had died. Here’s how that happened……
One of my best friends, who I went to college with, called me on Saturday morning asking about people from college because someone had passed away. Now, I should explain, I bartend on Friday nights until 3:00 AM so don’t get to sleep until sometime after 4:00 AM. Needless to say I’m not exactly awake on Saturday mornings so when he started rattling off names of people we went to school with 25 years ago, nothing registered. Normally I need 12 hours of sleep, food and a couple of adult beverages before I can start digging into the memory bank for 27 years ago. I finally told him to copy me on the Facebook post so I could see names and faces.
Needless to say, I couldn’t get back to sleep so I got up to putz around and then sat down to figure out who this possible college classmate was. I looked at the post and noticed he copied and pasted the original post. The post read something like this: His Name -> My Name. Today we lost yet another wonderful person much too soon. We will miss her…….” and along with the text there was a photo of two girls from the 80’s, no names, no dates, nothing. I called him to tell him I didn’t recognize anyone and did he know any maiden names, etc. While the two of us were attempting to piece something together, my text message notification went off several times and so did his.
It didn’t take long for us to realize people thought he was talking about me. The two girls could have been any teenager from the 80’s, including me.
As we were laughing about it my phone rang and I knew the person calling was making sure it wasn’t true. I answered the phone and heard the panic and then the relief in her voice. After reassuring her I was fine and making sure she was okay, I hung up to answer text messages, delete his post and do a post myself making sure everyone knew I was still around.
After all was said and done there’s a few things I learned:
- I’m humbled by the number of people who were truly concerned about my welfare.
- I’m upset at the people who DID NOT ask about my welfare. Yes, I do realize they probably missed the post all together.
- Is it the correct thing to do to call or text someone who you think is dead? What would have happened had I not answered for a few hours….because honestly the phone should have been on silent and I should have still been sleeping for at least a couple more hours. I can’t imagine the panic while waiting for the ‘dead’ person to answer the phone.
- Social media is definitely our information source, right, wrong or otherwise.
- I need a plan in place for when I finally do leave this world….I better get a list of people to notify to the man friend so he can keep it in a safe place and call them before Facebook takes over.
- Be careful how you post things!!!!
I am not deceased, I am very much alive