Oh boy has life been busy. It’s been busy for everyone, I know.
New man (not so new anymore now), another job (not a new one, another one, up to four now), new adventures, pool season and just plain life being crazy.
This is our 5th month in the new place but it seems like yesterday we packed a car hauler full of crap, hoped for help, didn’t get any, and moved 15 miles south of town. Back to country living for both of us. Our joke is we rented a two car, insulated, heated garage and a three bedroom two bathroom house came with it. Needless to say there’s way too much room for just us two but we’ve been getting creative with things.
- Our dining room table is now an extension of the mudroom/laundry room. It’s very convenient to drop the unfolded laundry on the table when switching out loads, then it stays there, for days, wanting attention it doesn’t get until we dig through it for something to wear. I’ve also noticed when we bring our clothes into the mudroom to sort and do laundry, there it sits for all to see as that’s where we come into the house, our front door is rarely used. If someone does come to the door we don’t answer it because our friends and family know better. Nothing against the Jehovah Witnesses but we’ve got that part of life handled, no muddying the waters there.
- We have more TVs than we need so we are now those people with two in the living room. The first excuse was that NASCAR and football were on at the same time and now there is no excuse, he will play PS3 on one and we watch the other. I can’t be bothered to argue, that’s one of those things that aren’t worth it. In fact, I had a discussion with him the other day about a more permanent set up for the TVs.
- We each have our own bathroom. I use the one in the master bedroom and he uses the other one. He does shower in my bathroom but will take a bath in the other one, don’t ask, I have no clue since we have a garden tub in our bathroom.
- We’re turning our second living room into a bar. Yup, jukebox, pool table and bar décor. Why not? All we do now is walk through it to go to bed. Friends think we’re crazy at first but when they think about it for a few minutes they’re pretty excited. Especially because we have two bedrooms for them to crash in if things get out of hand.
Outside of being creative with rooms we’ve set some ground rules.
- He prepares the dishes and loads the dishwasher. I cannot be bothered to wash the dishes just to wash them. He’s a complete fanatic about it so it’s his job. I empty it and clean the rest of the kitchen.
- The garage is his. Unless he needs help finding something, cleaning it or I need to do a piece of furniture. But it’s his. We’re going to stick with that.
- He dictates the lawn mowing and the frequency thereof. We have two riding lawn mowers, not because we need two but because he THINKS we need two. One is not working 100%. I guess that’s what happens when you live with a mechanic. The lawn was like a putting green, every time I came home he as on the lawnmower. From August to November he mowed it two to three times a week. Unnecessary in my book. I do have to say it looks great though……don’t tell him I said that.
- He fixes the things I break. Period. I recently sucked up a wash cloth with the vacuum cleaner hose, he was not a happy man. He looked cute all covered in dust though……don’t tell him I said that either.
- I freak myself out when I’m home alone. Lots of windows, very minimal window coverings, no neighbors close and lots of new noises for me to get used to. So I don’t spend much time there alone and he is very aware of that rule.
Life is still very funny, I just need to find time to write more. I will attempt to make it a priority since it is good therapy for me. Bottom line is things are good, I’m happy and very content. We laugh a lot, I just don’t write it down as often as I used to.